Another week, another set of 20 questions for the Karshare team! This time we're chatting to Caroline Lang, Karshare's Creative Digital Marketing Strategist, who is taking us through her experience working remotely from Bristol and the 90s trend she hopes will make a comeback.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living to family and friends?
I look after all things content for Karshare – that includes our social media, our blog, our emails or the copy on our website. I’m always finding new ways to reach new audiences and communicate the benefits of car sharing.
2. What’s one professional skill you’re currently working on?
I’ve just completed a course in Growth Hacking and am now getting started on some further Google Analytics and PPC training to help me grow my marketing skills!
3. What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
My family lives in Austria, so ‘home’ has felt very far away over the last two years. If we’re talking physical distance, then probably San Francisco!
4. How do you prefer to start your day?
I do a lot of dog sitting on the side, so my favourite mornings are those spent on sunny dog walks overlooking the Suspension Bridge in Bristol.
5. How do you prefer to end your day?
I go through phases, really. I’ll either binge-watch the latest TV series (just catching up on Line of Duty!) or work my way through the massive pile of books by my bed, if I feel like I’ve been staring at a screen for too long. I’m currently loving ‘An American Marriage’ by Tayari Jones.
6. What was your first job?
I interned as an Events Assistant at the biggest concert hall in Vienna – I distinctly remember reading through Rihanna’s dressing room requirements, which included white walls, a white sofa and a very specific candle. I spent a lot of time shredding paper.
7. What’s your go-to productivity trick?
Podcasts – it may sound counterintuitive but I actually work better when I have a constant drone of voices coming through my headphones. Especially true crime podcasts. I wonder what that says about me.
8. What are your pet peeves?
What AREN’T my pet peeves?! My top ones at the moment are probably being late, pessimism and when people do that leg-jig thing that makes the whole table shake.
9. What’s the coolest or most interesting thing you’re working on right now?
We just finished filming some promotional material with our customers in Bristol and the edits are coming together really well! I’m excited to be able to share them with everyone soon and to take our video content to the next level.
10. If you could snap your fingers and become an expert in something, what would it be?
Chopping onions! How do they do it so fast?!
11. If you had to listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
That’s such a tough question. I’d have to go with ‘King of Spain’ by The Tallest Man on Earth. I’ll never get bored of it.
12. What’s your most used emoji?
🙃The upside down smiley. It’s the perfect response to anything.
13. If you could only have three apps on your smartphone, which would you pick?
Voi – I use Voi’s electric scooters all the time to get from A to B, they’re so efficient.
Deliveroo – An absolute godsend during lockdown. And out of lockdown.
Pinterest – I’m moving house soon, so this has been the holy grail for my interior design decisions!
14. Where are you in birth order and do you think it affects your personality?
I’m the oldest of three girls – and am 100% the person I am today because I’m the oldest sister. I think it shapes you as a person. If you google firstborn personality traits, I tick all the boxes – good and bad.
15. What trend do you hope makes a comeback?
Tamagotchis! Growing up in the 90s, this was an essential part of my life. I’d love to look after a virtual little pet again.
16. What’s been the most challenging part of your role at Karshare?
I joined Karshare remotely at the height of lockdown so have only had a few opportunities to actually meet the team in person. As much as we all love a Zoom, nothing beats in-person collaboration, so it’s been tough not being able to spitball ideas in a room together.
17. What’s your favourite famous or inspirational quote?
“Happiness is only real when shared.” – Christopher McCandless, from the book Into The Wild. Feels particularly pertinent after the year we’ve just had.
18. What’s your best memory of working at Karshare?
We collaborated with Skylark Media to create some animations for our owners and renters and I was able to bring an actor friend of mine on board to do the voiceover for us. I loved being able to merge my theatre background with my new work at Karshare!
19. What’s something that you’re really good at?
Thrift shopping – I have my secrets but just know it takes a certain combination of perseverance, patience and a really comfortable pair of shoes.
20. Who do you admire and why?
Young climate activists like Alexandria Villaseñor, Joycelyn Longdon, Greta Thunberg and the countless students making their voices heard for climate change across the globe. Their work is incredibly important and their tenacity is awe-inspiring. I want to be like them when I grow up.