We sat down with Graeme Banister, our Mobility & Partnerships Director, to take us through his answers to our 20 Questions, designed to help you get to know Team Karshare a bit better.
Let's see what he had to say!
1. How would you describe what you do for a living to family and friends?
This is such a tough one to start, I actually had to ask my wife & kids. "A bit of everything" mixed with "you seem to speak / know everyone" was the consensus which a) I’ll take and b) just describes startup life: rolling up sleeves and getting the job done.
2. What’s one professional skill you’re currently working on?
Ironing – my sleeves are a mess.
3. What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
If we're talking literally then New Zealand, but I think Bangkok on the 25th December was a time when home seemed very far away.
4. How do you prefer to start your day?
Easy – just like everyone else. A bit of hazelnut milk, cinnamon, vanilla paste, hazelnuts, goji berries, a vegan protein powder and a cup of tea. Yorkshire Gold, naturally.
5. How do you prefer to end your day?
Rooibos tea and an hour of TV.
6. What was your first job?
7. What’s your go-to productivity trick?
Setting myself the daily goal of ticking off more from my to-do list than the tasks that are added on. If I'm struggling to consistently do this, then breaking tasks down into smaller chunks to aid goal completion – and mindfulness.
8. What are your pet peeves?
Email threads that are longer than, I would say, 5 emails. If something can’t be resolved by then it is likely a meeting would be quicker for everyone to get on the same page and move on.
9. What’s the coolest or most interesting thing you’re working on right now?
Community car sharing is a universal solution; urban, suburban and rural environments can all do more with less so being involved with a company making this a reality across this spectrum is a great privilege.
10. If you could snap your fingers and become an expert in something, what would it be?
11. If you had to listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Only one song... OK, definitely the toughest question. It would have to be something that could possibly cover for all emotions – let’s say Candid by Kllo.
12. What’s your most used emoji?
The wink emoji 😉
13. If you could only have three apps on your smartphone, which would you pick?
Alongside Karshare you mean?! Spotify, Twitter and Booking.
14. Where are you in birth order and do you think it affects your personality?
Oldest – and absolutely not, although my siblings may disagree.
15. What trend do you hope makes a comeback?
I’ve already seen many trends from my childhood come back to haunt us, although I don’t think I’ve yet seen bands influencing their fans to accessorise with items such as Grolsch bottle tops and VW badges. Given the huge role of influencer marketing these days, maybe that's on the horizon!
16. What’s been the most challenging part of your role at Karshare?
With Karshare being a child of the pandemic, it’s been tough being unable to properly celebrate successes with colleagues in person.
17. What’s your favourite famous or inspirational quote?
"The more we share, the more we have." – Leonard Nimoy.
18. What’s your best memory of working at Karshare?
Our launch as a Covid-response service and the incredible goodwill of people who donated their vehicle at the height of the pandemic for free to allow health professionals and voluntary organisations to maintain services when public transport options were unavailable or not advise. It was truly inspiring.
19. What’s something that you’re really good at?
20. Who do you admire and why?
For staying resilient through Covid, it has to be all those aged 15–19. The past 15 months and who knows how many more to come have been difficult for everyone but with teenage kids of my own, I really feel for this group who have missed out on so much.